Appreciation and recognition of art is the best respect towards the artist. And, when this appreciation and recognition comes from government or eminent platforms it becomes honor. The Government of India and other State Governments recognise artists through means of various awards, the same are listed below :
1) Lalit Kala Academy Award is the highest award honoured by the Government of India for visual arts. This award is given by the President of India and comprises of a cash prize of ₹25,000 , a citation and a plaque.
2) Padma Vibhushan is the second highest civilian award in the Republic of India which bestowed to distinguished artwork. It was first awarded in the year 1954. M.F Hussain was one of the famous Indian artists to be awarded with the same in 1991.
3) Padma Bhushan Award is the third highest civilian award given annually on Republic Day for distinguished service or achievements of a high order in various fields, including Art.
4) Padma Shri is the fourth highest civilian award of the country. Krishn Kanhai was one of the recipient of Padma Shri for his incredible use of gold and precious gems in his paintings and art.
5) National Handicrafts Award is presented by the President of India to talented craftsmen to acknowledge their exceptional artwork.
6) Emerging Artist Award is given to emerging artists to appreciate their astounding skills. The awardee get an opportunity to showcase his work as a part of FICA homepage.
7) Shilp Guru is given annually by the Government of India to extra-ordinary craftsmen for innovative and traditional designs.
8) Poompuhar State Award is given to artists for their noteworthy performance in the field of art by Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited. This is given to provide financial aid, thus improving their standard of living. The award consists of a cash prize of ₹50,000, 4 gram gold medal, citation and certificate.
9) Kaivinai Pokkisham Award is given to artist who make Tanjore paintings, plates, stone carvings, Panchaloha idols, Kalamkari and Batak paintings and bronze lamps.
10) Kala Ratna is an Indian state award of Andhra Pradesh presented by its Chief Minister. This award is presented to recognise the extraordinary skills of an artist and encourage them.
11) Tulsi Samman Award is named after Tulsidas renowned Indian Saint poet and philosopher which is annually conferred by the government of Madhya Pradesh for phenomenal art work.
12) Kalidas Samman is also one of the most prestigious award given by the state government of Madhya Pradesh. It is presented to the artists for their distinctive work in the field of music theater and plastic arts.
13) Jakanachari Award is the award conferred by the Karnataka state government to proficient sculptors and craftsmen in order to appreciate and encourage their skills.
14) Varnashilpi Venkatappa Award is also one of the awards honoured by the Government of Karnataka for excellence in painting.
15) Gomant Vibhushan Award is the highest civilian award of Goa given for the exceptional service. Laxman Pai is the only painter who was honoured with it. The awards consists of a memento, citation and monetary reward of ₹5,000,00.